Thursday, November 26, 2009

Heliopolis Passenger List

Many of you have been searching for the names of your families that traveled from Malaga, Spain to Honolulu, Hawaii on the S. S. Heliopolis. Since I have the complete list, I thought of creating this blog so anyone can review the list to find if your family was actually on the Heliopolis.

For your information, this is my first attempt in creating a blog; so, if there are errors you will have to forgive me. However, I would like for you to advise me of any errors so I can correct this blog.

The official passenger list for the Heliopolis is on microfilm in the Hawaii State Archives located in Kekauluohi Building Iolani Palace Grounds Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 Phone: (808) 586-0329 Website: http://hawaii.gov/dags/archives/ The passenger list that I am posting was created by the Portuguese Genealogy Society (PGS) of Hawaii located at 810 North Vineyard St Rm 11, Honolulu HI 96817. The last time I had contact with them, Doris Naumu was the President.

From what I can tell from the errors on this list, the person who transposed the data this list had limited knowledge of Spanish geography and names. Let me explain: When I went to the PGS, I could not find my family on the list. However, I knew that in Spain the wife never carries her husband's name. She carries her maiden name, which includes her father's and mother's paternal names. So I looked up my grandmother's name and found it. She was listed on page 79, seat 18. Then I went to the Archives and get the microfilm. I went to page 79, seat 18, and found my grandfather, father, and two uncles. The person who transposed the data had them listed as Gonzalez not knowing the the Ga in a person name meant Garcia, which was my grandfather's mother's paternal name.
Additonally, the pueblo that my family comes from is called Deifontes. It was listed as La Fonte on the list.

For your edification, there were two S.S.Heliopolis. The second S.S. Heliopolis was launched on May 10, 1907, two months after the first S.S. Heliopolis embarked from Malaga, Spain. The second S. S Heliopolis was later renamed the Royal St. George. The first S.S. Heliopolis was contructed in 1906 in Cardiff, England. Cardiff was one of the major ship building cities in England at the time. The following information was taken from Lloyd's list movement reports. The ship left Cardiff on 3 March 1907 arriving in Malaga Spain on March 7, 1907. On March 10, the shipped passed Gilbraltar westbound. On 4 April 1907 it arrived in Punta Arena (Sandy Point), Chile, which is in the straits of Magellan. It departed and headed in a Northerly direction arriving in Honolulu on Apr 26, 1907. It departed Honolulu on May 3 and arrived in Hong Kong on May 22. (That is all the information I have on the Ship)

6 comments:

  1. Mr. Rodriguez I think we may be related- My Great grandfather was Francisco Gonzales, aka Francisco Rodriguez Amador, age 8 yrs at the time of the voyage. All family members are on page 79 as you pointed out, and are the only family I saw on the manifest from Deifontes, which I know for a fact is where they were from. Also Antonio (5 yrs old), Miguel (1 year old), and Miguel Gonzales aka Martin Rodriguez Garcia, age 37. I cannot locate my great grandmother Anastasia who was also on board, because I do not know her maiden name. This part of the family settled Vacaville, California where they were ranchers, mainly walnuts. My grandfather is Francisco Gonzales Jr. (Francisco Alvarez Gonzales - full name), and my grandmother was Mary Castro. Any help you can give me would be appreciated! I am getting older and am trying to compile this information for my children so that our Spanish heritage is not lost. Thank you in advance- Eric Pine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Everybody,
      My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

      LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
      First name......
      Middle name.....
      2) Gender:.........
      3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
      4) Loan Duration:.........
      5) Country:.........
      6) Home Address:.........
      7) Mobile Number:.........
      8) Email address..........
      9) Monthly Income:.....................
      10) Occupation:...........................
      11)Which site did you here about us.....................
      Thanks and Best Regards.
      Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Francisco Rodriguez Amador was my father. The family went to the big island of Hawaii...and never left the islands. My grandfather's name was Martin Rodriguez Garcia (Garcia became the middle name when it was americanized). His wife, my grandmother, was Carmen Amador Fernandez. We were never Gonzales...the person who transposed the names from the microfilm mistook the "ga" after their names for Gonzales instead pf Garcia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francisco Rodriguez Amador was my father. The family went to the big island of Hawaii...and never left the islands. My grandfather's name was Martin Rodriguez Garcia (Garcia became the middle name when it was americanized). His wife, my grandmother, was Carmen Amador Fernandez. We were never Gonzales...the person who transposed the names from the microfilm mistook the "ga" after their names for Gonzales instead pf Garcia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct in saying that the liner Heliopolis was not the immigrant ship that sailed from Malaga. But not this - first S.S. Heliopolis was constructed in 1906 in Cardiff, England. Cardiff was one of the major ship building cities in England at the time.
    Cardiff is the capital of Wales, and is not in England. The major shipbuilding sites in Great Britain were Glasgow and Newcastle. She sailed from Cardiff but there was no shipbuilding there of any significance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete